SADC pushes for inquiry into Lesotho’s ex- army chief killing

first_imgThe Extraordinary SADC Summit hosted by South African President Jacob Zuma in Pretoria on Friday, has decided to set up an independent commission of inquiry to investigate the circumstances surrounding the recent assassination of Lesotho’s former army commander, Brigadier Maaparankoe Mohao, as soon as possible. The summit was attended by heads of state from Lesotho, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Botswana, Namibia and Malawi. Related Former Lesotho army chief arrested Malawi ex-army chief arrested over corruption Burundi army chief survives assassination attemptlast_img read more

Reggae superstars Morgan Heritage to nurture African talent

first_imgThey’re known as the Royal Family of Reggae, a group that’s been getting people to shuffle their feet and other parts for more than 20 years.Now though, Morgan Heritage have an ambitious new project – to showcase the best of African music.And they’re going to do it – from Kenya.CCTV’s Kathryn Ogunde has the story.last_img

E. coli outbreak: Germany appeals for blood donors

first_img Sharing is caring! Tweet 27 Views   no discussions Share German clinics are appealing for blood donations as the number of people infected with a deadly strain of E. coli has risen above 1,730.So far 17 people have died from the bug in Germany, and it is suspected in another death. One also died in Sweden.German scientists say they have decoded the new E. coli strain’s genes, with help from a Chinese lab. It is a new hybrid form toxic to humans.Germans are still being advised not to eat raw vegetables.Nearly 500 infected people in Germany have got haemolytic-uraemic syndrome (HUS), which harms the kidneys and nervous system and can be fatal.Europe-wide problem Most cases are in northern Germany, including Hamburg. In severe cases doctors have to perform blood transfusions.Lutz Schmidt, medical chief of the Hamburg blood donation service, said: “We need blood, plasma too. The stocks need to be replenished.”He told the newspaper Die Welt that in Hamburg many donors had responded to the Eppendorf University Clinic’s appeal for blood.E. coli usually inhabits the guts of cattle and sheep.The new strain is believed to have spread via contaminated raw cucumbers or tomatoes.The bacteria stick to the intestine walls, pumping out toxins.European health authorities are urgently trying to pinpoint the source of this epidemic.Cases of HUS have also been reported in Denmark, the Netherlands and Spain. Seven people in the UK have the infection, though all are thought to have contracted it in Germany.Two people in the US, who have travelled recently to Germany, are being tested for the strain, said the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).Anger in Spain Spain says it will seek damages from Germany over initial claims that its produce was the source of the outbreak.Spanish PM Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero said he would demand reparations for the economic losses suffered. Germany had blamed Spanish cucumbers but has since accepted it was not the case.Spanish fruit and vegetable exporters estimate they are losing 200m euros ($290m; £177m) a week in sales.“We acted as we had to, and we are going to get reparations and the return of Spanish products to their rightful place,” said Spain’s Prime Minister Zapatero.“I believe that any other interpretation or any effort to politicise the huge mistake made by the German authorities is totally unfair.”Sales of Spanish produce to supermarkets across Europe – not just of cucumbers, but of everything – have ground to a halt, says the BBC’s Sarah Rainsford in Almeria, Spain’s “fruitbasket”.Tens of thousands of kilos of fresh fruit and vegetables grown in Spain are being destroyed, she adds.The European Union has urged Russia – its largest export market for vegetables – to drop its ban on the import of fresh vegetables, describing the move as totally disproportionate.BBC Newscenter_img Share Share HealthLifestyle E. coli outbreak: Germany appeals for blood donors by: – June 3, 2011last_img read more

Bermuda’s summer promotion encourages travelers to ‘Bring a Friend’

first_img Tweet Share LifestyleTravel Bermuda’s summer promotion encourages travelers to ‘Bring a Friend’ by: – July 12, 2011 Share Sharing is caring!center_img Share 21 Views   no discussions One of the beaches in Bermuda. Photo credit: fodors.comNEW YORK, USA — The Bermuda Department of Tourism is inviting vacationers to extend their summer fun on Bermuda’s pink sands through October this year with the launch of the island’s Endless Summer Promotion.The Endless Summer offer is available for booking now through October 25, with travel dates from August 23 through October 31, 2011.Travelers have a variety of ways to save:• Those who book a minimum four-night stay and airfare-inclusive package for two through a tour operator will be able to “Fly a Friend Free”on participating airlines. Airlines and respective airports participating with the “Fly a Friend Free” offer include: JetBlue from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport; Delta from Boston Logan International and Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport; as well as WestJet from Toronto Pearson International Airport. Ticket value for the second person must be $400 or less.• Travelers flying on non-participating airlines can receive a “Friend Air Credit.” Those flying to Bermuda via American Airlines, US Airways, AirTran Airways and Continental Airlines from all other cities of origin in the U.S. and Canada will receive a $400 air credit when booking a four-night, air-inclusive trip for two with a tour operator.• Guests who instead book a minimum four-night stay directly with one of 12 participating hotels on-island, rather than through a tour operator, will receive a $400 resort credit in place of the air incentive. Hotels include: Cambridge Beaches Resort and Spa, Elbow Beach, Fairmont Hamilton Princess, Fairmont Southampton, Grotto Bay Beach Resort, Newstead Belmont Hills Golf Resort and Spa, Pompano Beach Club, The Reefs Hotel and Club, Rosedon Hotel and Rosewood Tucker’s Point.Bermuda, just under two hours from East Coast gateway cities, stretches for 21 miles along turquoise waters and is surrounded by a 200-square-mile coral reef plateau. Bermuda’s accommodations range from luxury resorts to intimate guest cottages and family-run inns, all incorporating the sophistication and hospitality unique to the Bermuda experience.The island includes more than 150 restaurants to fit any traveler’s budget, from simple and inexpensive to elegant and special dining. Bermuda’s diverse activities offer an array of vacation options all year round, including more wreck dives than anywhere else in the world, championship golf, horseback riding, world-renowned deep sea fishing and smooth pink beaches to rest on by day’s end.Caribbean News Nowlast_img read more

Strawberry-Apricot Slush.

first_img 31 Views   no discussions Share Food & DiningLifestyle Strawberry-Apricot Slush. by: – August 9, 2011 Tweet Sharecenter_img Sharing is caring! Share Strawberry-Apricot Slush.This frosty, fruity slush only requires three ingredients and 5 minutes to make. Sweet frozen strawberries, rich apricot nectar, and a little cold water blend together to create a fresh summertime treat.This fat-free concoction can be served as a light and refreshing dessert or as a fruity beverage to accompany your lunch.Iingredients:1 10-ounce package frozen strawberries3/4 cup apricot nectar2 to 3 tablespoons cold waterDirections:In a blender container, blend together frozen strawberries, apricot nectar, and water. Makes 2 to 3 servings.Recipe source: Better Homes and Gardenslast_img read more

Building a peaceful society through culture

first_img Sharing is caring! Tweet Share Share LocalNews Building a peaceful society through culture by: – April 19, 2012center_img 6 Views   no discussions Share Chief Cultural Officer Raymond LawrenceDominica’s Chief Cultural Officer believes that it is possible to build a peaceful society through arts and culture.“Culture has a very important role to play in the development of the nation, in providing a strong sense of identity, building our cultural industries, providing jobs and income opportunities for our people,” stated Raymond Lawrence at the official launch of the 2012 DOMFESTA celebrations at the Old Mill Cultural Centre on Wednesday.This year’s 29th DOMFESTA festival will be observed under the theme “Through Culture We Build A Progressive And Peaceful Society”.Lawrence said culture also plays a significant role in our society. “We feel that culture also has a role to play in uniting the nation and engaging our people in positive activities and in that way help to curb crime and violence. Culture is a healing and peaceful force in the life of a country”.The DOMFESTA festival was created to provide more opportunities for creative expression for artists, to promote cultural exchange and closer regional integration.One of the highlights of this year’s festival will be a creole song contest on Friday June 1st at the Arawak House of Culture.The DOMFESTA celebration is expected to run from Sunday April 27th to Friday June 1st 2012.Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more

2012 Calypso finalist to challenge non-finalist at this year’s Testing the Best Competition

first_img Tweet Share Sharing is caring! Share 2011 new comer Black DiamondThe annual Testing the Best Calypso competition, now in its 5th year has taken on a new format as the 2012 Calypso finalists will challenge the non-finalist.The show which is organized by the Marriage Engaged Encounter of the Catholic Church pairs calypso singers who must sing each other’s song.The Calypsonian who performs their colleague’s song the best is adjudged the winner.For the last four years, the Calypsonians were given the opportunity to dip and sing whichever Calypsonian’s name they received. However, this year that format has been abandoned as the organizers announced a new format at the launching on Thursday evening.One of the organizers, Alvin Knight told the launching that they are presenting a different show dubbed “Challenging the Best”.“Five of the 2012 Calypso non finalists;, those who thought that they should have made it to the finals will be challenging five of those who actually made it to the finals. It’s going to be a tag team between finalists and non-finalists and in the middle of that refereeing the tag team showdown will be the powerful Young Bull”.2011 Calypso Monarch Tasha PThe non-finalists who have agreed to participate in this year’s event are Beno, Comforter, Lugars, Hunter and Black Diamond.Those finalists who have agreed to participate are Web, Tasha P, Explosion, Checko and Karessah.Hunter will sing Explosion’s song, Beno will sing Tasha P’s song, two 2011 new comers Black Diamond and Checko will face each other, Comforter will sing Karessah’s and Mighty Lougars will Web’s song.This year the finalists from the Show Down Mas Camp; Dice, Soul Puss, Vigilante, Sye and Bobb they will not take part in the competition.Dominica Vibes News will seek clarification from the Show Down Mas Camp organizers as to the reason for this decision.The event scheduled for the 2nd of June at the Newtown Savannah.Dominica Vibes Newscenter_img 28 Views   no discussions LocalNews 2012 Calypso finalist to challenge non-finalist at this year’s Testing the Best Competition by: – April 20, 2012 Sharelast_img read more

India bids to stage 2022 Commonwealth Games shooting events

first_img FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Promoted Content9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksWhy Do Americans Consider Him To Be The Best President?6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A Drone8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its Growth27 Breathtakingly Beautiful Albino Animals6 Incredibly Strange Facts About HurricanesThe Best Cars Of All TimeTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The WorldIs This The Most Delicious Food In The World? Making a case for Archery at the Commonwealth Games “Key aspects of this assessment will be to ensure that the proposal conforms with our rules and regulations, is operationally deliverable, sets manageable precedents for the Commonwealth Games and ultimately adds value to athletes and the Commonwealth sports movement,” Grevemberg said in a statement. Read Also Serena powers past Giorgi for ‘solid’ start to 2020 The BBC reported on Tuesday that shooting and archery could take place four months before the Commonwealth Games begins in July 2022. The 2022 Commonwealth Games is billed for Wednesday July 27 to Sunday August 7. Officials for the 2022 Commonwealth Games are considering a proposal to stage shooting and archery in India even though the event is being hosted by the English city of Birmingham. The proposal was described on Tuesday as “innovative” by David Grevemberg, chief executive of the Commonwealth Games Federation, and will be reviewed over January and February “with the ambition of strengthening Commonwealth sport”. Commonwealth Games India put forward the idea with the support of the country’s government, along with the governing bodies of shooting and archery. India, which traditionally has a good record in shooting, threatened to boycott the games after the sport was excluded from the programme along with archery.Advertisementlast_img read more

Roger Federer tipped to join Billionaire club in 2020

first_imgTwenty Grand Slam winner Roger Federer is reportedly ‘set to become tennis’ first billionaire’ in 2020 and only the fourth sportsperson ever to accumulate that level of wealth. Federer’s growing fortune means he will join Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan and Floyd Mayweather as the richest athletes of all time. The tennis legend has built his fortune from a combination of prize money and endorsements with a range of global brands. According to Tennis.com, Federer has already earned £689million, with a further £153m guaranteed from agreed-upon sponsorship contracts in the months and years ahead. Tiger Woods generated earnings through sponsorships ATP figures state that Federer has racked up £98m in prize money from singles and doubles tournaments. As well as racking up money in major competitions, he also takes part in a South American exhibition tournament during the off-season which brings in £7.6m each year. But, according to Businessinsider.com, it is his commercial success away from the tennis court that has helped him to amass his fortune. The 38-year-old has sponsorship deals with brands such as Rolex, Uniqlo, Credit Suisse and Mercedes Benz. Forbes has also reported that Federer’s annual income has reached a record high of £80m, despite him no longer being at the peak of his powers. That figure represents a sizeable increase on the £59m he was estimated to have earned in 2018. Federer’s three-year sponsorship with Uniqlo, which he penned in 2018, is reportedly worth £23m a year and is the main contributor to his increase in income. Read Also Nadal insists Federer Slam record not on his mind ‘Baba ibeji’ as some of this fans in Nigeria call him previously had a multi-million pound deal with Nike, while he has also invested money in the running of shoe firm ON. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… center_img Promoted ContentThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s HystericalThe 10 Best Secondary Education Systems In The WorldTop 9 Scariest Haunted Castles In Europe7 Universities In The World With The Highest Market Value10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimeCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?7 Theories About The Death Of Our Universe12 Celebrities Who Almost Ruined Their Careers With One Movielast_img read more

Man City player dumps wife for Reality star Dawn Ward’s daughter

first_img “They’ve been friends for a while but Taylor refused to go there romantically until she knew his marriage was over. She is very much a girls’ girl and would never break that code “Taylor is stunning and Riyad’s team-mates have been ribbing him about how he’s been punching above his weight.” Taylor has previously been linked to Mahrez’s City team-mate Sergio Aguero, as well as to Everton star Mason Holgate. She cheered on her new man in the Manchester derby at the Etihad on Wednesday when City made it to the EFL Cup final. read also:Mahrez: Why I missed CAF Awards Her dad, Ashley, 49, is a former professional footballer who retired from the game in 2005 FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Mahrez, 28, has been on a string of dates with fashion student Taylor Ward, 22 — daughter of ITVBe reality star Dawn, 46 — after he officially called time on his marriage. Dad-of-two Mahrez even took Taylor, who has also appeared on the TV show, and 15 of her friends out for a lavish dinner last week. Last night, a source close to the Man City winger said: “Riyad and Taylor get on brilliantly, and initially started hanging out as mates. He thinks she’s gorgeous, and has joined her and her pals for a few group dates. Promoted Content5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks14 Hilarious Comics Made By Women You Need To Follow Right NowWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?10 Absolutely Unique Facts About Kanye6 Unforgettable Shows From The 90s That Need To Make A ComebackYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimeThe 10 Best Secondary Education Systems In The World7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The UniverseThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s HystericalIs Cristiano Ronaldo Converting His Hotels To Hospitals?What Are The Most Delicious Foods Out There?7 Universities In The World Where Education Costs Too Much Manchester City star, Riyad Mahrez, has split from his wife — and is now dating the daughter of a Real Housewives of Cheshire star. Loading… last_img read more