Published on August 29, 2017 at 11:45 pm Contact Tomer: firstname.lastname@example.org | @tomer_langer Facebook Twitter Google+ Kielan Whitner may have been the starting strong safety last season, but the Syracuse coaching staff feels like the secondary is a lot deeper this year.This season, Whitner must compete against multiple players to try and see the field in the secondary, but the coaches still wanted him to be on the field. Defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Brian Ward approached him after spring ball and suggested a switch to outside linebacker. Whitner’s versatility should help bolster and make the Syracuse’s defense more dynamic this season.“There’s certain guys that we want to get in the game because they can help us win,” SU head coach Dino Babers said. “And if he’s one of those guys, then we’ll get him in the game. … I think it was a good move for him, and I think he’ll contribute in 2017.”The starting linebackers have been fairly consistent for SU. Parris Bennett and Zaire Franklin, who started every game and Jonathan Thomas — who started nine of 12 games last year — will start again this season. Bennett and Franklin finished in the Top 10 in the Atlantic Coast Conference in tackles per game a year ago.Whitner played both strong safety and free safety in his two years at SU, including starts at each position last season. As of now, Whitner is pegged as backup strong-side linebacker, behind Thomas. And although he is technically playing a new position, he said he already feels comfortable there.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“At strong safety, they had me roll down to the box,” Whitner said. “It’s very similar to playing outside linebacker.”Andy Mendes | Digital Design EditorWhile Whitner was a defensive back in high school, he said he had a little bit of experience playing outside linebacker. His task was usually to guard the opposing team’s best receiver. If that player happened to be a slot receiver, then Whitner would drop down and match up.The skillset Whitner brings could also help with disguising the defense. Last season, on nearly every third down, there was a nickel package in which Whitner would come in, he said. Now, with him at linebacker, SU could conceivably keep him on the field for third downs. This would make it tough for defenses to tell whether Whitner would be acting as a nickel defensive back or whether he would just be playing his standard outside linebacker role.While Franklin knows that changing positions can be a challenge, he echoed Whitner in saying that switch should not being too difficult and praised his improvement. Franklin is in charge of communicating with the rest of the defense on the field, telling players where to move or how to disguise a certain look. He said Whitner consistently asks questions if he’s unsure about a certain play or look, which has made the transition run smoothly.“He’s one of those guys who prides himself on knowing everything,” Franklin said. “He already had a kind of decent knowledge of the SAM anyway. I think he’s made a really good transition.“He’s going to be a baller.” Comments
But he perished 34 minutes before lunch when he got one from Yasir which bounced, took the shoulder of the bat, for Younis Khan to pull off a brilliant one-handed catch, leaping high to his right at slip. Hope then anchored a 58-run fourth wicket partnership with Chase to deny Pakistan any further success for the session and steer the Windies to 112 for three at lunch. Both players looked in good touch afterwards, with Hope especially growing in confidence, driving left-arm seamer Mohammad Amir straight for four and then hammering Yasir to the cover boundary in the following over. The right-handed Chase looked untroubled in 83 balls in nearly 13/4 hours at the crease before he was dismissed, driving an innocuous delivery back to Yasir at 155 for four, 40 minutes before tea. Hope, however, continued to steady the innings, this time finding an ally in Vishaul to help post 80 for the fifth wicket and ensure West Indies were consolidating at tea on 197 for four. He reached his maiden Test half-century half-hour before tea and was unbeaten at the break on 68, with Vishaul on 18. Hope hardly played a false stroke in an innings spanning 209 deliveries, just over 51/4 hours and including eight fours and a six and looked a sure bet to reach triple figures. But he suddenly lost concentration and drove Yasir uppishly to cover where Azhar Ali snared a simple catch head-high, after tea at 235 for five. His dismissal triggered a decline as five wickets tumbled for 26 runs to see Pakistan haul their way back into the game. SCOREBOARD WEST INDIES 1st Innings 312 PAKISTAN 1st Innings 393 WEST INDIES 2nd Innings (overnight 40 for one) K. Brathwaite c Younis Khan b Yasir Shah 43 S. Hetmyer b M. Amir 22 S. Hope c Azhar Ali b Yasir Shah 90 R. Chase c & b Yasir Shah 23 V. Singh b M. Abbas 32 +S. Dowrich c Asad Shafiq b Yasir Shah 2 *J. Holder c Younis Khan b Yasir Shah 1 D. Bishoo not out 16 A. Joseph c M. Amir b Yasir Shah 7 S. Gabriel not out 0 Extras (b16, lb2, w3, nb1) 22 TOTAL (9 wkts, 102 overs) 264 Fall of wickets: 1-8 (Powell), 2-41 (Hetmyer), 3-97 (Brathwaite), 4-155 (Chase), 5-235 (Hope), 6-235 (Singh), 7-236 (Holder), 8-252 (Dowrich), 9-261 (Joseph) Bowling: M. Amir 21-8-44-1 (w1), M. Abbas 25-6-57-2, Yasir Shah 39-12-90-6, Shadab Khan 17-0-55-0. Position: West Indies lead aby 183 runs with one wicket intact. Toss: West Indies. Umpires: R Kettleborough, B Oxenford; TV – R Illingworth. PERISHED BEFORE LUNCH BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC): Stylish stroke-maker Shai Hope agonisingly missed out on a maiden Test hundred in an admirable West Indies batting effort, but a clatter of wickets late on the penultimate day yesterday opened the door for Pakistan, setting up an intriguing finale to the second Test. The Barbadian right-hander struck an accomplished career-best 90, an innings that lifted West Indies to 264 for nine in their second innings – a lead of 183 runs heading into the Thursday’s last day of the Kensington Oval contest. Hope’s knock underlined West Indies’ resilience over the first two sessions which saw them reach 197 for four at tea before a collapse in the final session saw the hosts squander the momentum they had carefully gathered. Opener Kraigg Brathwaite struck 43, left-hander Vishaul Singh chipped in with 32 while Roston Chase scored 23, as West Indies battled hard on a wearing track. Leg-spinner Yasir Shah once again proved the danger man, picking up six for 90 to post his 10th five-wicket haul in Tests, while enterprising seamer Mohammad Abbas claimed two for 57. Resuming the day on 40 for one, West Indies lost Shimron Hetmyer in the day’s third over before the left-hander had added to his overnight 22, bowled by one from left-arm seamer Mohammad Amir which came back to shatter the stumps, with a single run added to the overnight score. Brathwaite and Hope then energised the innings with a 56-run, third-wicket stand which saw the hosts safely through the next hour. Without a score of note in the series, Brathwaite appeared focused on notching a big one in an innings which lasted 111 deliveries in nearly 21/2 hours at the crease and included four boundaries.
The preliminary report into the recent fire at the State-run Drop-in Centre has revealed that proper fireMinister of State Joseph Harmonsafety regulations were not adhered to, according to Minister of State Joseph Harmon.The preliminary report into the July 8 fire, which claimed the lives of six-year-old Antonio George and his two-year-old brother Joshua George, was handed over to Government last Friday by Retired Colonel Windee Algernon who was appointed by President David Granger to conduct the inquiry into the tragic incident.Harmon told reporters at the post Cabinet briefing on Wednesday that preliminary findings highlighted some systematic problems that needed to be addressed.“The preliminary report pointed to some issues of bad policy arrangements for fire, it pointed to the fact that there was not enough collaboration between entities that had to do with the management of the Drop-in Centre, it pointed to the fact that there were not enough drills for emergencies and/or fire,” the Minister of State outlined.Harmon noted that these issues are not limited only to the Centre but all Government buildings. He stated that efforts will have to be undertaken to ensure that the relevant fire code and building standards are adhered to.These findings comes less than a week after President Granger had warned that anyone found culpable of negligence will be held accountable for the death of the two young boys.“If any persons are culpable of gross negligence or dereliction of duties, yes we will make a judgment as to whether they are fit to hold those positions and if you equate that with rolling of heads, then yes,” the President posited.Nevertheless, he outlined that the aim of the inquiry is to prevent a reoccurrence.“We need to find out what happened and prevent a reoccurrence. In investigating what occurred, if we find that there was gross dereliction of duties, yes persons who omitted to commit acts, which would have prevented that catastrophe will be punished and if the punishment proposed is that they be removed from their positions so be it,” Granger told reporters on the weekly televised programme, the Public Interest, which aired on Friday last.Just after midnight on July 8, the two young brothers perished in a fire which occurred at the Drop-in Centre on Hadfield Street, Georgetown. Care takers at the facility claimed that there was an electrical spark on the top floor of the building, where the girls were housed, and a fire immediately broke out, spreading throughout the building.According to reports, the elder brother Antonio was asleep in the dormitory at the time when the fire started and as the younger brother Joshua was being taken out of the building by care givers, he realised that his brother was not with him.The two-year-old managed to free himself from the grip of the care giver and ran back into the burning building. The two brothers were trapped in the building and their charred remains were subsequently recovered.
High Court Judge Jo-Ann Barlow will by June 15, 2018 rule on whether or not a magistrate has authority to hear extradition proceedings involving fugitive Marvin Williams, who is wanted by United States law enforcement for a Queens, New York murder that occurred on December 11, 2011.Wanted fugitive Marvin Williams, called Troy ThomasWilliams, also called “Troy Thomas”, had initially answered to that name at his court arraignment before Magistrate Sherdel Isaacs-Marcus in March, but he now says his name is Marvin Williams.Both his attorney, Prithima Kissoon, who stood in place for Williams’ attorney, Nigel Hughes and Solicitor General Kym Kyte, who is representing the respondent, the Attorney General, were at a hearing before Justice Barlow on Monday. Both sides made legal arguments.The defence team, which includes Hughes, Bernard Da Silva and Darren Wade, contends that their client’s name is Marvin Williams and that he is being unlawfully detained. They further noted that him being a citizen of Guyana makes him entitled to the protections as provided in the Constitution of Guyana. During Monday’s hearing, Attorney Kissoon reiterated that the Fugitive Offender’s Act of 1988 makes provisions that citizens should not be extradited to a third State.However, Assistant Solicitor General Beverly Bishop said in court that the December 22, 1931 treaty entered into by the United Kingdom and the United States for the mutual extradition of fugitive criminals remained in force. She cited the current Marcus Bisram case, which suggested that the State has “arrangements” with the US. In responding to the applicant’s submissions, Bishop said that the Public Security Minister’s directive to the Magistrate to proceed “does not infringe on the separation of powers”.Williams was arrested in March 2018 at Liliendaal, Greater Georgetown, after an intelligence-led operation by ranks of the Guyana Police Force, which commenced on January 31, 2018. An arrest warrant was issued by the US in 2012.Williams was being hunted by the New York Police Department, and a wanted bulletin was issued for him in connection with the murder of Guyanese Keith Frank after an altercation outside a South Richmond Hill party.It was disclosed by US law enforcement agents that the suspect had fled the country to Canada within hours of his alleged crime.Shortly after, the man reportedly travelled to Guyana before the wanted bulletin which was issued by the US had reached Interpol.
Martial capped a spell of United pressure early in the second half by shooting his side in front after Paul Pogba had found him in space 20 yards from goal.The striker took a controlling touch before producing a brilliant right-foot finish that flew into the top right corner of the Everton goal.It was a much-improved second half showing from United and one capped by a superb individual goal from Lingard that settled the outcome 10 minutes from time.After Luke Shaw won possession from an Everton throw-in, Pogba slipped through a pass which Lingard accepted, weaving his way through the midfield to the edge of the area before depositing an unstoppable shot into the bottom corner.Everton, seeking to bounce back from the first defeat of Sam Allardyce’s reign, had made a promising start and, with their captain Wayne Rooney keen to impress against his former club, the hosts enjoyed the stronger start.Youngster Mason Holgate met an early Rooney corner and headed over as Everton built pressure on a United side that had ended 2017 with a whimper.In the absence of injured pair Romelu Lukaku and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Mourinho had started with Martial as his lone striker but there was little early service for the French international.Pogba ensured the half ended with United in the ascendancy with a counter-attack that ended with him playing in Lingard whose shot was the latest in a long line to miss the target.But United were a far more dangerous proposition after the restart, creating a string of chances prior to their 56th minute opening goal.Juan Mata’s long shot was tipped over by Pickford before the Spaniard unleashed a curling left-foot attempt that clipped the post.Lingard sent Pogba through for the United midfielder whose shot, from a wide angle, flew across the face of goal.Pogba, playing in a more advanced midfield position than usual, looked in the mood to add to United’s lead following Martial’s opener, a skilful run into the Everton area after 63 minutes ending with a shot which was parried by Pickford.United looked likely to need that second goal after Allardyce made a double substitution, including the removal of Rooney, and Everton enjoyed their best spell of pressure.But a near-post header from Niasse, from a Holgate cross, was the closest Everton could come to an equaliser during that brief period of control.It required an excellent diving save from Pickford to keep out an 18-yard effort from Lingard, after more good build-up play from Pogba — although Lingard made no mistake when presented with a similar opportunity moments later.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Paul Pogba played the ball across the edge of the box to his international team-mate and Martial curled a super effort into the top corner.LIVERPOOL, United Kingdom, Jan 1 – Jose Mourinho’s disappointing end to 2017 was quickly forgotten as goals from Anthony Martial and Jesse Lingard earned Manchester United an impressive 2-0 victory against Everton at Goodison Park on Monday.The New Year’s Day win lifted United back into second place in the table, above Chelsea and, for 24 hours at least, to within 12 points of runaway Premier League leaders Manchester City.