The Booker Washington Institute Alumni Association (BWIAA) has called for a collaborative campaign involving the relevant government agencies, security authorities, community leaders and the media to halt the “rampant and illegal” river sand mining that threatens the viability of the bridge linking Vai town and Waterside and the one near the Jamaica Road at the Somalia Drive intersection.In a press release, the leadership of the alumni association described the habit as “worrisome and disgusting,” saying it has on many occasions drawn the attention of the Maritime Authorities, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Ministry of Public Works, but the “unwholesome and criminal acts” have continued unchecked.“The illegal sand miners have been seen operating mainly near the Jamaica Road Bridge for a long time now,” the release observed.In recent days, the release said, young men using dug-out canoes have also been doing serious, illicit deep-river sand mining very close to the multimillion dollar Vai Town-Waterside Bridge.The BWIAA believes keeping a security watch on the bridges or authorizing and empowering community people to police the areas could curtail the ugly habits and save the bridges from eventual collapse.The association wants authorities also to stop individuals from going to buy sand from the illegal miners whose intention clearly is to undermine efforts of national development and recovery.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Nine out of the ten people hospitalised after being swept out to sea at Magheroarty have been discharged, it has been confirmed.Fifteen students and staff of the Gael Linn college at Machaire Rabhartaigh were rescued from the water in a large-scale emergency operation on Tuesday evening.The college principal remains in Letterkenny University Hospital and is said to be making a good recovery. “The good news is that everybody is fine,” said a statement from Gael Linn on Tuesday night.A group from the summer college had been swimming close to Magheroarty beach earlier this afternoon when they got into difficulty in the water.Several emergency calls were made and the Coast Guard, Rescue 118 helicopter, local fishing boats and the Tory ‘Queen of Aran’ Ferry were all tasked to the scene.Ten of the people rescued from the water were transported to Letterkenny University Hospital for assessment. Nine of those people were taken by helicopter and one by ambulance. It is understood that some of the group were suffering from the effects of hypothermia, water ingestion and shock. The parents of the students involved were contacted immediately, according to Gael Linn.An update was issued by the college on Tuesday night to say that all of the students and staff, with the exception of the principal, have been discharged after getting the all-clear from the hospital.The statement said: “Gael Linn would like to thank sincerely The Irish Coastguard, Rescue 118, and all who ensured that there was a successful outcome.”Magheroarty Rescue: Nine out of ten discharged from hospital was last modified: August 15th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:gael linnMachaire RabhartaighMagheroarty
SANTA CLARA — Signing NFL draft picks to contracts is mostly a formality thanks to the 2011 installation of a pay scale, and, as a result, the 49ers have not had a top draft pick hold out even a full day before signing.Nick Bosa, this year’s No. 2 overall draft pick, will not buck that trend.A day before the 49ers start training camp, Bosa signed a four-year deal Thursday, as did wide receiver Deebo Samuel, a wide receiver.Bosa missed almost all of the organized team activities after …
3 August 2009As national football teams around the world battle through qualifying games to make it to the 2010 Fifa World Cup, Cape Town is gearing up to host the tournament’s final draw event.Cape Town’s International Convention Centre will be cast into the limelight on 4 December, when Fifa will announce the grouping and match order for the world’s top 32 teams to contest Africa’s first World Cup.The much-anticipated final draw is expected to be broadcast live in almost 200 countries and attended by over 2 000 VIP guests and around 800 media representatives.Roles and responsibilitiesCape Town Mayor Dan Plato and Local Organising Committee CEO Danny Jordaan last week signed an agreement that sets out the roles and responsibilities for the two parties in staging the event and providing all the necessary support services.Plato said excitement among Cape Town residents was starting to mount as the final draw and the World Cup approached.“We can’t wait for 4 December, and we can’t wait for 2010 to welcome all the visitors and spectators to our city. Cape Town is ready and prepared to deliver a memorable final draw, and to provide unique visitor experiences for visitors and the soccer fraternity alike.“The timing coincides with Cape Town’s festive season, and all stakeholders are working together on integrated planning and preparations for the event,” Plato addedd.Plato said the World Cup came at an opportune time for the city, and had already created a number of job opportunities, especially in the infrastructure sector.“The impetus of expenditure and investment in infrastructure for 2010 could not have come at a better time to counteract the effects of the economic slump. While not every individual or suburb of Cape Town will benefit directly from the World Cup, improved facilities, services and infrastructure will benefit all indirectly,” Plato said.Anticipation and excitementJordaan said the final draw in South Africa’s scenic Mother City would capture the imagination of the football world, and would be a week-long event featuring a number of activities staged by Fifa, the LOC, the City of Cape Town, the Western Cape Provincial Government and all South Africa’s host cities.“There are two projects left in the delivery of the World Cup, the final draw this December and then the tournament itself starting next June,” he said.Jordaan said the Fifa Confederations Cup had shifted the mood worldwide.“Where people once questioned and doubted, we’ve now reached a position where people are looking forward in anticipation and excitement to the Fifa World Cup in South Africa,” he said.He added that the Final Draw in Cape Town was a critical date and an important milestone for South Africa. “And we could not find a better city in which to host it. Cape Town’s a wonderful location, and its Greenpoint Stadium is a landmark, one of the best in the world.”Five countries have already successfully qualified for the finals: these are Australia, Japan, North Korea, Netherlands and South Korea.Source: BuaNews
For all the talk of relationship selling being dead, I am still long human relationships. Your best relationships are based on your ability to create value, no doubt. But they are relationships nonetheless, and relationships require proper care and feeding.Other than an inability to create value, nothing destroys relationships faster than your absence. A lack of presence is a liability when it comes to relationships. It’s neglect.Absence does not make the heart grow fonder. Absence makes the heart go wander.If you don’t invest in your client relationships, know that someone else will. If you aren’t willing to have a presence, to give the relationship its proper care and feeding, and continually create value, you can bet that your competitor will. Here are three commands for preventing a wandering heart in your client contacts.Maintain a Presence: Long periods of absence are felt as neglect. Long periods without communication make your client feel that they are being ignored. The maintenance of relationships requires an investment of time. Relationships require your presence. The best way to maintain a presence is by using your calendar to plan your relationship building. Make a list of the relationships you need to maintain, and schedule the sales calls you need to make at least one quarter in advance. Then make your presence felt.Prove That You Care: Your clients need to know that you care about them. They need to know that you are thinking about them and their business. Proving that you care requires an investment of time, but the unexpected follow up call to ensure that things are going well (or the unexpected thank you card) indicates that you care. It proves you are thinking about your client. Make the calls. Send the thank you cards. Do something. Prove that you care.Move From Value Creation to Value Creation: Relationships are based on value creation. It’s not enough just to have a friendly relationship with your clients. You have to bring business results. You have to bring them new ideas. Preventing your clients from having a wandering heart means moving from value creation to value creation, never becoming complacent, never resting on your laurels. Sales is the fashion business. Make a list of ideas that you and your clients can implement together over the next four quarters. Share these initiatives with your clients during your meetings. They give you a reason to have a presence, and it’s a reason based on value creation.Work to make the heart grow fonder, not to make the heart go wander.QuestionsWhat do relationships require in the way of care and feeding? How do you give them the proper care and feeding?What do your customers feel when you sell them something then disappear, only returning when you have something else to sell?How do you prevent your clients from feeling neglected? Essential Reading! Get my 3rd book: Eat Their Lunch “The first ever playbook for B2B salespeople on how to win clients and customers who are already being serviced by your competition.” Buy Now
The Ganjam district administration is developing a free mobile app to help students of Odia medium schools enhance their knowledge via tutorials in their first language.The app, a first of its kind in Odisha, is expected to become operational in the next two or three months. School students of the district will be able to use it from the start of the next academic session, said Ganjam Collector Vijay Amruta Kulange. Along with Odia medium students from Ganjam, children in other parts of the State will also be able to benefit from this free app.Recording of videos of best teachers of the district explaing important chapters in Odia has already started. These videos will be uploaded to ‘YouTube’ and their links will be provided on the app. Besides the videos, the app will also provide detailed study materials and interactive practice tests. “We thought of developing this app to provide resources to Odia medium school students on par with those studying in English medium private schools,” said Mr. Kulange. Most educational apps for school students are in English or Hindi and some of them charge money for their services. The Ganjam administration is planning to utilise increasing penetration of Internet and smartphones to rural areas to help Odia medium students learn better. Materials provided in the app will also help school students of rural areas who have little or no access to tuitions or coaching classes.Help for teachersThe school education app is also expected to help teachers share their best teaching practices. Using it, parents will also able to understand and keep track of what is being taught to their children in schools, said District Education Officer Sanatan Panda.Those schools in rural Ganjam which are still out of reach of Internet connectivity will be provided tablets with materials of the app loaded to its internal memory that can be used offline. The Ganjam District Collector chaired a meeting at Chatrapur on Sunday evening to discuss the progress in development of this app. Teachers in Ganjam are enthusiastic about this app as it will help them present their best teaching practices before a larger audience throughout the State. “This app will also increase love and respect of youngsters towards Odia language. It will make them feel that modern facilities of education are also available to them in their mother tongue,” Mr. Kulange.
Unorganised labourers engaged for work under the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme in the rural areas of Rajasthan have demanded an increase in the days of wage employment from the present 100 days to 200 days in a financial year to every household whose adult members are willing to do unskilled manual work.Guarantee soughtThe Rajasthan Unorganised Labour Union celebrated the NREGA Day at Ajmer district’s Jawaja village on Saturday, marking the day when the flagship rural employment scheme was launched in 200 selected backward villages across the country in 2006. The participating workers, who hailed the legislation as a milestone in social security, laid emphasis on steps to guarantee the right to work.Over 500 daily wage earners from rural areas, agricultural labourers, domestic workers and those engaged in construction and mining sectors in the village panchayats of Jawaja panchayat samiti and Pali district’’ Raipur panchayat samiti took part in the event. They interacted on various aspects of NREGA and took out a rally through the lanes in Jawaja.Labour movement leader Shankar Singh, who is co-founder of Mazdoor Kisan Shakti Sangathan (MKSS), said the rights-based NREGS had been converted into the “discretion of administration” at several places, where full wages were not given to workers despite completing the tasks assigned to them. “Besides undermining the scheme’s objectives, this often leads to disappointment among the labourers,” he said.‘Wage cut’Pooja Devi of Ranota village said the local government officials, who could not find scope for corruption in the transparent system of payment of wages, were resorting to wage cut on the pretext of incomplete work just to “discourage” workers from demanding work for full days.
Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 Fultz was seen by several shoulder specialists, who found a scapular muscle imbalance in his right shoulder but no structural damage to the joint.Fultz had already changed the mechanics of his free throw shooting in a bid to solve the problem.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutBut his play has suffered and he averaged just six points and 2.3 rebounds in four games, before missing Philadelphia’s last two.He had averaged 23.3 points in his lone college season with the University of Washington. /kga Read Next Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa San Miguel seals its twin towers Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles01:48NBA: Kawhi, George seek more for Clippers than beating Lakers03:12Kevin Durant out with Achilles injury; to undergo MRI on Tuesday01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games View comments MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding LATEST STORIES Markelle Fultz (right) with NBA commissioner Adam Silver (left) after being drafted first overall by the Philadelphia 76ers during the first round of the 2017 NBA Draft at Barclays Center on June 22, 2017 in New York City. (AFP FILE PHOTO)Philadelphia 76ers guard Markelle Fultz, the top pick in last June’s NBA draft, will be sidelined indefinitely with the right shoulder injury that has hindered him this season, the Sixers said on Sunday.The 76ers said Fultz would be re-evaluated in three weeks.ADVERTISEMENT CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH
India will try to put the humiliating whitewash in the Test series behind them when they take on England in the one-off Twenty20 cricket match in Manchester on Wednesday, hoping that their young batting brigade will be able to counter the seaming conditions.After the Test series debacle, India began well on the path of redemption by scoring three consecutive victories in the warm-up games but they face an uphill battle against England, who are reigning Twenty20 world champions.Both Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma have looked in good touch in the warm-up games in the last one week as they shouldered the burden of carrying India home in those games.Importantly, they have not been part of the losing side yet after putting their feet in England and the confidence and positive attitude of the duo can turn it around for India.Left-handed Parthiv Patel also got into the groove by top scoring in India’s win against Leicestershire on Monday.However, India have run short of batsmen and they are left with no option but to ask its two most senior batsmen, Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid, to pad up for the game.Ajinkya Rahane is too wet behind the ears to be given the India cap. It brings both Tendulkar and Dravid into equation – two giant of batsmen in modern era who, ironically, have only one Twenty20 international between them.Tendulkar played India’s inaugural Twenty20 international match in Johannesburg against South Africa on the 2006 tour but since then has often asserted he doesn’t want to be part of India’s Twenty20 group of players. The highest and the second highest run-scorers in the history of Test cricket, however, would be required to respond to the call of the team.advertisementIt’s an irony that a team, which only four years ago had won the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa on the vim of young talent, is now knocking at the door of two 38-year-old veterans to bail them out. Tendulkar and Dravid, in a way, wouldn’t mind turning up for India. Tendulkar has only shown glimpses of his batting skills on the present tour.Dravid needs to adapt his batting to the shorter formats of the game of which he hasn’t been a part, well almost, for over three years. Being champions, they would also like to exact revenge against an England side which whitewashed them 4-0 in the preceding Test series and disrobed them from the honours of world’s number one Test side.Stuart Broad, Tim Bresnan, Steve Finn, Graeme Swann and one- day specialist Jade Dernbach is a formidable bowling bunch.Most of these names also have huge credentials as lower-order batsmen which should give the top order the license to go after a lightweight Indian bowling. As for England’s top six batsmen, opener Craig Kieswetter, Eoin Morgan and Kevin Pietersen are relatively well- known.Gambhir ruled outGautam Gambhir has been ruled out of the remainder of the England tour after he failed to recover from concussion. According to team manager Shivlal Yadav, Gambhir went to an eye specialist on Tuesday and it seems he continues to suffer from concussion.According to Yadav no replacement has been named yet and Dhoni would be consulting the BCCI top brass and the selectors on the matter.