Senate leaders recommend $14 million in cost cuts to avoid layoffs

first_imgSenate leadership today recommended over $14 million worth of savings in labor costs.  The Senate is opposed to Governor Douglas proposal to lay off an additional three hundred and twenty employees and asks the Vermont State Employees Association (VSEA) and the Douglas Administration to move forward with negotiations.  Senate leadership has put forward the recommendations to the VSEA and the Administration and urges them to move forward with their negotiations.   The Senate’s recommendations include ten ongoing furlough days, freezing the cost-of-living increase and individual step increases in pay, cutting five media related administration positions, cutting private contracts and more.  The full proposal is attached to this email.   “State employees are gripped with fear, focusing on whether they will lose their positions instead of focusing on their jobs,” said Senator Illuzzi.  “Our hope is that by putting forward this proposal we will jumpstart the negotiations between the Administration and the VSEA.”Vermont state government has already made significant position reductions; in the last two years alone, over four hundred positions have been eliminated.  Additional reductions will significantly impact the state services that Vermonters are relying on and further strain our troubled unemployment fund.  While the legislature can not interfere directly with the negotiations, recommendations can be made for how the state can protect our hard working employees and save $14 million.   The Senate’s proposal would save the state over $14 million and alleviate the need to eliminate three hundred and twenty state employees. “Our goal with this proposal is to work together with all the parties concerned to ensure that three hundred and twenty Vermonters keep their jobs and the services that Vermonters are relying on stay intact,” said Senator Peter Shumlin. Source: Senator Shumlin’s Office. April, 16, 2009 AttachmentSize Senate personnel cuts.DOC46 KBlast_img read more

Bale backs Villas-Boas

first_img It was Bale’s summer departure to Real Madrid that triggered upheaval at White Hart Lane, with the world-record fee of £85million being reinvested in a host of additions to the Portuguese manager’s squad. While Bale thrives in his new surroundings, his old team-mates, and the new faces at Tottenham, have struggled for consistency – and Premier League goals – without him this term. Gareth Bale believes Andre Villas-Boas deserves to be given more time to sort out Tottenham’s problems. They have scored just 11 times in 13 games in the top flight, and stand 10 points behind leaders Arsenal following Sunday’s 2-2 draw with Manchester United. Speaking ahead of that match, Bale said Villas-Boas has the qualities that make it worth mid-table Tottenham persisting with him during a rocky patch that was exposed by the recent 6-0 drubbing by Manchester City. “I think he should be given time,” Bale told BT Sport. “I think he’s a great manager – he showed that last year. They’re going through a little bit of a bad patch at the moment but I’m sure he’s a good enough manager to pull everybody through, get out the other side and hopefully go on a good run now, catch up the rest and have a good season.” Bale recognised that Tottenham’s finishing has been under par. He said: “I’ve been watching quite a lot of the matches. “They’ve been playing some good stuff. “I just think they’ve been very unlucky in front of goal, just haven’t been clinical enough really.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more