Senate leaders recommend $14 million in cost cuts to avoid layoffs

first_imgSenate leadership today recommended over $14 million worth of savings in labor costs.  The Senate is opposed to Governor Douglas proposal to lay off an additional three hundred and twenty employees and asks the Vermont State Employees Association (VSEA) and the Douglas Administration to move forward with negotiations.  Senate leadership has put forward the recommendations to the VSEA and the Administration and urges them to move forward with their negotiations.   The Senate’s recommendations include ten ongoing furlough days, freezing the cost-of-living increase and individual step increases in pay, cutting five media related administration positions, cutting private contracts and more.  The full proposal is attached to this email.   “State employees are gripped with fear, focusing on whether they will lose their positions instead of focusing on their jobs,” said Senator Illuzzi.  “Our hope is that by putting forward this proposal we will jumpstart the negotiations between the Administration and the VSEA.”Vermont state government has already made significant position reductions; in the last two years alone, over four hundred positions have been eliminated.  Additional reductions will significantly impact the state services that Vermonters are relying on and further strain our troubled unemployment fund.  While the legislature can not interfere directly with the negotiations, recommendations can be made for how the state can protect our hard working employees and save $14 million.   The Senate’s proposal would save the state over $14 million and alleviate the need to eliminate three hundred and twenty state employees. “Our goal with this proposal is to work together with all the parties concerned to ensure that three hundred and twenty Vermonters keep their jobs and the services that Vermonters are relying on stay intact,” said Senator Peter Shumlin. Source: Senator Shumlin’s Office. April, 16, 2009 AttachmentSize Senate personnel cuts.DOC46 KBlast_img read more

Pellegrini impressed by City squad

first_img After weeks of speculation City made no attempt to deny, Pellegrini has finally been officially confirmed as the man to succeed the sacked Roberto Mancini. The 59-year-old Chilean has been tasked with bringing silverware to the Etihad Stadium and improving the team’s brand of football – and he is confident of achieving both. The former Real Madrid and Villarreal boss, who has left Malaga to take up his new post, told City TV: “I am sure we have the best squad in the Premier League. We have wonderful players and can win important titles in the next three or four seasons.” Pellegrini added: “Everyone knows if you arrive at a club like Manchester City you need to win titles. I am sure we are going to win – maybe the Premier League, the Champions League. We will try to win a lot. “I like attractive and attacking football, so all the people who go to the stadium can see a wonderful… show is not the word but I am sure they will enjoy the way we play. We are not going to be a team that scores a goal and goes back waiting for a counter-attack. We will always try to play in the opponents’ pitch and play attractive football.” Pellegrini’s appointment was expected early last week, following his final match in charge at Malaga. The delay in the announcement was reportedly due a hitch over the terms of his exit from Malaga, but their appointment of Bernd Schuster as his successor early on Friday suggested obstacles had been removed. Pellegrini has signed a three-year deal at Eastlands and will officially begin work on June 24, ahead of pre-season visits to Hong Kong, Indonesia, South Africa, Germany and Finland. Pellegrini also has a tough act to follow in Mancini, who despite failure to win silverware last season remained a fans’ favourite. The Italian ended a 35-year trophy drought by overseeing FA Cup success in 2011 and he topped that by following up with dramatic Premier League success last year. Pellegrini said: “I think Roberto did a great job here in Manchester. It is not easy to win the title after 44 years. But I think we start now a new cycle, a new style of club, adding to what Roberto has done over the years.” Press Associationcenter_img New Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini has no doubt he is inheriting the best squad in England and is convinced he will soon win trophies.last_img read more