SALT LAKE CITY — Warriors center Marquese Chriss grimaced as he grabbed his leg, but he and the Warriors did not want an opportunity to earn a rare win slip away because of a banged knee.A collision with Jazz guard Emmanuel Mudiay sent Chriss limping to the locker room with a left knee contusion. Shortly after, Chriss checked back into the game. The Warriors (5-22) lost to the Jazz 114-106 Friday at Vivint Smart Home Arena, but not without showing the kind of grit they’ve grown accustomed …
12 November 2007South Africa is to direct as much as 85% of government spending on selected goods and services to small, medium and micro enterprises (SMMEs) – and ensure that they are paid out within 30 days, says government spokesperson Themba Maseko.Although the government already procures many products and services from SMMEs worth millions of rands, this is the first time that a specific target has been set.Briefing reporters following a Cabinet meeting last week, Maseko said the spending would be directed at 10 products and services, while the 30-day payment rule for paying small enterprises would be implemented with immediate effect.The 10 selected products and services include advertising, media and communication products and services; interior and exterior cleaning services and cleaning product supplies; clothing and textiles; computer equipment and consumable supplies; interior and exterior furniture and decor; events coordination and management; maintenance, repairs, construction and office space; travel coordination and shuttle services; perishable food supplies and stationery supplies and printing.Government-funded small enterprise support agencies would also provide dedicated financial and non-financial procurement-based support for the selected products and services, which were identified following research by the Department of Trade and Industry.To make sure the 30-day payment rule is applied, Maseko said its implementation would be included in the performance contracts of accounting officers in government departments.In addition, the Small Enterprise Development Agency (Seda) is to set up a call centre to handle complaints from small business owners about late payment for goods supplied and services rendered.The National Treasury is also to issue guidelines to all national and provincial departments to ensure the implementation, monitoring and reporting on the expenditure targets.Maseko said such moves were necessary to ensure timely payment to SMMEs, as they do not have the large cash reserves to survive long periods without payment.“The only way we will grow small enterprises is by giving them work,” he said, pointing out that SMMEs stood to benefit from hundreds of millions of rands of government expenditure.He said that while the expenditure would be targeted at black-owned enterprises in line with broad-based black economic empowerment guidelines, this would not prevent the government from considering other options, as the initiative was aimed at all small businesses in the country.Source: BuaNews
In a sensational development in the Oakwood party case, cricketers Rahul Sharma and South African cricketer Wayne Parnell, both of whom play for IPL team Pune Warriors, have tested positive for consumption of drugs.Additional Commissioner of Police Vishwas Nangre Patil said on Friday that 42 out of the 44 whose tests were being awaited have tested positive for drugs. While Nangre Patil did not name Parnell and Sharma, the two had consumed drugs.According to Patil, the two who tested negative for drugs are women. “Only two of the 44 detainees have tested negative and both are women,” said Nangre Patil, refusing to divulge any identities.Police sources said that Sharma has tested positive for the consumption of cannabis. However Nangre Patil refused to confirm it. Police sources said that the reports were sent by the forensic sciences laboratory (FSL) in Kalina on Friday. The samples were taken from the detainees who had been taken to the Bhabha and JJ hospitals.Nangre Patil added that out of the 44, 35 have tested positive for cannabis, three for cannabis and cocaine, while four others for cannabis and MDMA (Ecstasy).Earlier, the police had received the first set of test reports of 46 detainees out of which 44 had tested positive. These included actor Apurva Agnihotri, model and cricketer Bishan Singh Bedi’s son Angad Bedi and fashion designer Rocky S.
The International Cricket Council (ICC) board unanimously agreed to the appointment of former India captain Anil Kumble as the new chairman of its cricket committee here on Thursday.Kumble, 41, who has 619 Test and 337 One-Day International wickets to his name, succeeds former West Indies captain Clive Lloyd, who led the committee since 2008.”In Anil Kumble, we have a new chairman who has unquestioned experience not only as a player with India but also as an administrator because of his association with the Karnataka State Cricket Association (KSCA). I am sure he will carry on Clive’s good work and bring contemporary thinking to the committee and understand clearly the issues facing the modern game,” ICC president Alan Isaac said, commenting on the appointment.Isaac also admired outgoing chairman Lloyd’s work. “I would like to thank Clive Lloyd for his chairmanship of the ICC cricket committee and to his tireless contribution to the game. The ICC board were united in their admiration for his work as chairman.”The ICC media release added that two members of the present panel — former Australia captain Mark Taylor and ICC statistician Davin Kendix — have got a one-year extension while former West Indies fast bowler Ian Bishop has voluntarily stepped down. On his way out, Bishop nominated the recently-retired England captain Andrew Strauss as his replacement, which was accepted by the ICC board.
Madew Regional Park, JerrabomberraContact: Phil Jarrett, NSW Touch AssociationPhone: 0407 893 615Email: email@example.comWeb: http://allschools.nswtouch.com.au/southern
The Minister was making his contribution to the 2019/20 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on April 30. Story Highlights He said these beaches include the Mount Salem Beach in St. Ann, at a cost of $26 million; Marking Stone Beach in St. Mary, $38.3 million; Lyssons Beach in St. Thomas, $49.6 million; Boston Beach in Portland, $27.8 million, and the beautification of the area leading to Winnifred Beach in Portland at a cost of $35 million. Minister of Tourism, Hon. Edmund Bartlett, says the Government has spent $200 million in recent times to upgrade various beach facilities across the island, under the Beach Development Programme, in partnership with the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF).He said these beaches include the Mount Salem Beach in St. Ann, at a cost of $26 million; Marking Stone Beach in St. Mary, $38.3 million; Lyssons Beach in St. Thomas, $49.6 million; Boston Beach in Portland, $27.8 million, and the beautification of the area leading to Winnifred Beach in Portland at a cost of $35 million.The Minister was making his contribution to the 2019/20 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on April 30.“Work undertaken at these facilities includes the installation and renovation of gazebos, restrooms, wash-off stands, parking facilities, landscaping work, construction of guardhouses and the upgrading of sewage treatment plants,” Mr. Bartlett said.He noted that the Government has spent the funds for the development of amenities in and around resort areas to ensure that tourism development in Jamaica is truly inclusive, and will benefit both locals and visitors alike.“The TEF is looking at several other beaches for development and or upgrade work, thereby dramatically expanding public access over coming months and years,” the Minister said.“It is important to note that we [the Government] are committed to the strengthening of community tourism as we believe that this is where the essence of the experiences lies. It is also the heartbeat of the real Jamaica and represents a strong and appealing feature of the tourism product. An increasing number of people are demanding local experiences by interacting with the ordinary Jamaican in their communities,” he added.Mr. Bartlett said the Government decided to provide nearly $300 million to create authentic tourism experiences in 63 communities across Jamaica.Each Member of Parliament will be allocated at least $4 million to work in conjunction with the Tourism Product Development Company Limited (TPDCo) in designing and implementing those projects during this fiscal year. These projects could include restoration and repurposing of unused assets for income generation. Minister of Tourism, Hon. Edmund Bartlett, says the Government has spent $200 million in recent times to upgrade various beach facilities across the island, under the Beach Development Programme, in partnership with the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF).
Srinagar: The “gloves are finally off and India has chosen territory over people”, former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Mehbooba Mufti said on Friday as speculations grew in the valley about some possible major decisions regarding the state’s special status. “You failed to win over the love of a single Muslim majority state which rejected division on religious grounds & chose secular India. The gloves are finally off & India has chosen territory over people,” Mehbooba, the PDP president, wrote on Twitter. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’She said New Delhi seemed to be preparing “to rob” the people of Jammu and Kashmir of “whatever little is left to protect their unique identity”. “(PDP founder and two-time chief minister) Mufti (Mohammad Sayeed) sahab would always say that whatever Kashmiris will get, it will be from their own country India. But today the same country seems to be preparing to rob them of whatever little is left to protect their unique identity,” she said in another tweet. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KEarlier, the former chief minister expressed hope that Kashmir would not be “used as a red herring to distract masses from the real issues”. “The economy is in free fall but I hope like always Kashmir isn’t used as a red herring to distract masses from the real issues. Such a move will have catastrophic consequences & push Kashmiris to the brink,” she said. Mehbooba said for a state that is often referred to as the crown of India, “the uncaring and callous treatment meted out to its people is disconcerting”. “Ideally some sort of clarification should’ve been issued. Instead a misinformation campaign is being run while an uneasy calm prevails in Kashmir,” she said as the valley remained on the edge even as a fresh order asking Amarnath yatris and tourists to leave Kashmir was issued by the state administration. In the aftermath of the order, people started buying essentials and lining up at petrol pumps to fill their vehicle fearing disturbances in the law and order situation. “Complete chaos on the streets of Srinagar. People rushing to ATMs, petrol pumps & stocking up on essential supplies. Is GOI only concerned about the safety of yatris while Kashmiris have been left to their own devices?” she said as the city witnessed traffic jams at several places.
NORWAY, P.E.I. – Marine mammal experts have released their initial findings after hauling three of the six North Atlantic right whales found dead in Canada’s eastern waters to the shore for post-mortem examinations.The Marine Animal Response Society says preliminary observations suggest that two of the endangered animals suffered blunt trauma, but it’s too early to rule out other underlying problems.The group says a third whale suffered from “chronic entanglement,” and all of the carcasses were in an advanced state of decomposition.It says experts will continue analyzing the results and are set to release a final report within the next two months.The society says more than 40 people were involved in the animal autopsies conducted in Norway, a tiny hamlet near P.E.I.’s northwestern tip.It says the “unprecedented die-off” of six North Atlantic right whales in the Gulf of St. Lawrence last month represents about one per cent of the estimated 525 endangered animals now in existence.
New Delhi: The Aam Aadmi Party’s (AAP) west Delhi candidate, Balbir Singh Jakhar, who was the last of seven candidates announced by the party, on Thursday became the first to file his nomination in the national capital. The 45-year-old filed his nomination papers in the presence of senior party leaders Manish Sisodia and Gopal Rai among others at the District Magistrate’s office in Raja Garden. Jakhar is the President of the Dwarka Court Bar Association and Chairman of the Co-ordination Committee of the All Delhi District Court Bar Association. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder Starting from the West Delhi, the other AAP candidates will file their nominations in the coming days, Rai said. Before filing the nomination, the AAP leaders along with Jakhar held a roadshow in west Delhi appealing to people to vote for the party to take up the demand of full statehood for Delhi. Addressing the public, Sisodia and Rai explained to the people about the importance of full statehood for Delhi. “In 2014, you voted for BJP. Their MPs have not done any work for the city. The BJP promised statehood for Delhi and did not say a word in Parliament about that,” Rai said. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchings He urged the people to vote for AAP to make the city a full state in just two years. The AAP had in March announced all its candidates for the national capital, where polling will be held on May 12. The AAP has fielded Pankaj Gupta from Chandni Chowk, Dilip Pandey from North East Delhi, Atishi from East Delhi, Brajesh Goel from New Delhi, Gugan Singh from North West Delhi and Raghav Chadha from South Delh
Rabat – An investigation by the Middle East Forum think tank has revealed that the Obama Administration approved a grant of $200,000 to the Islamic Relief Agency (ISRA), a financier of terror groups that has been linked with Al Qaeda. The investigation uncovered that despite the government’s knowledge of ISRA’s terrorist affiliation, the grant was approved. American taxpayer dollars were knowingly bestowed to the Al Qaeda affiliation, yet uncertainty still surrounds how ISRA was initially authorized as a grantee.In a statement to i24 News, a USAID official said that the USAID partners had the “primary responsibility” to run checks on ISRA, but “did not identify ISRA as an organization subject to US sanctions when it made the initial award.” When asked to comment on the funding, State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said, “As this occurred under the prior administration, the current Secretary of the State, Secretary of Treasury and USAID Administrator had no involvement in decisions surrounding this award or subsequent license.” However, the USAID official told the press that since the Obama administration, the system and the bureaucratic process have changed. Officials overseeing the agreements have received additional training to avoid reoccurrences and to improve screening of grantees.Read also: 3 Moroccans Selected among Obama Foundation’s Young African LeadersISRA, a known funder of terror groupsIn 2004 the US Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) listed the Khartoum-based ISRA as a terror-financing group. The designation was based upon ISRA’s strong links to Osama bin Laden and his organization Maktab al-Khidamat (MK) since 1997. By 2000, ISRA had raised $5 million for MK.The US Agency for International Development (USAID) in 2014 awarded $723,405 to World Vision, an international evangelical charity for the purposes of “improving water, sanitation and hygiene and to increase food security in Sudan’s Blue Nile State.” Despite ISRA’s affiliations, included in the World Vision grant was $200 000 directed to the ISRA as a sub-grantee. In November 2014, World Vision alerted USAID to the precarious status of ISRA, which had led USAID to “suspend all activities with the ISRA,” according to a USAID official. Consequently, on January 23, 2015, OFAC confirmed that ISRA was an unapproved entity and denied World Vision the license to engage in transactions with ISRA. Despite OFAC’s ruling, World Vision was reluctant to cut ties with ISRA, arguing that with the refusal of their license and inability to distribute grants, their humanitarian efforts were jeopardized. A stalemate followed between World Vision and OFAC, as both USAID and OFAC were unwilling to act on the issue. On May 7, 2015, after “close collaboration and consultations with the US Department of State,” OFAC took the untenable decision to issue a one-time license, which allowed the singular transfer of $115,000 to ISRA. Assessing the system The byzantine unfolding of events led to the conscious transfer of American taxpayer dollars to an Al Qaeda affiliate. A twofold system oversees grants from the US government: all grantees and sub-grantees must register under the Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) and with the government’s System for Award Management (SAM) database.The checks belie the ease with which ISRA was able to become a sub-grantee. ISRA was mysteriously assigned a DUNS number, which did not match with any organization in the SAM database. The void of knowledge and bureaucratic confusion which surrounds ISRA and its mysterious listing reveals blatant flaws within the system.By Isabella Wang