Authorities of the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (MoHSW) have told the Daily Observer that at least five persons who were tested positive for the deadly Ebola virus disease (EVD), have now successfully recovered and have tested ‘negative.’According to Assistant Health Minister Tolbert Nyenswah, four of the five, who are in Lofa and one in Montserrado, have now been “reintegrated” back into their respective communities.“This is a good news in our fight against the disease,” Asst. Min. Nyenswah, a Public Health Expert, said. “I am told that one of the Lofa survivors is a member of the Voinjama AG Church. There was a big celebration by the church members for the recovery of their colleague,” he added.The Asst. Health Minister, who is also the Deputy Chief Medical Officer of the nation, said the Government, through the Health Ministry wants to use those survivors as ambassadors to raise the hope of anyone contracting the disease that they, too, can survive. They would also tell the nation the kind of care they are given by health workers, some of whom are working 24/7 spreading health tips on the prevention of the disease.However, our Health Correspondent said it is a known fact that surviving the Ebola virus disease has to be by sheer miracle, as the disease has no known cure at the moment and it has a 90 percent case fatality rate. This means that nine out of 10 persons, who are confirmed positive with the virus die within two to 21 days. The five, whose names are yet undisclosed and were discharged Monday, July 7, had, upon arrival, tested positive but underwent treatment and laboratory results later showed negative.It can be recalled that in April a family, who had been quarantined following the death of one of their members, was reintegrated back into the community in Firestone, Margibi County after being tested negative, even though they had not been tested positive, initially.Forty-eight-year-old Fallah Taylor, head of a Foya Family, had had contact with his wife, who died after contracting the disease. Mr. Taylor was later declared free from the virus and reintegrated into the community by the Chief Medical Officer of Liberia, Dr. Bernice Dahn.Meanwhile, the Health Ministry has said that at least 41 persons have now been confirmed killed by the virus since the outbreak was reported in Liberia on March 22. However, the Ministry also said that 46 other deaths, have reported to be in the “probable” and “suspected” cases; this brings the total number of deaths to 87 in the “confirmed, probable and suspected” category.Of the number of deaths in all the cases, 47 are reported to have taken place in Lofa, five in Margibi and 35 in Montserrado. Among these deaths are 11 health workers.The Ministry further said it has so far confirmed 63 nationally to have contracted the virus and additional 38 and 30 fall within the probable and suspected cases, making it 131 cases in all the cases, including “probable, confirmed and suspected.”The Ministry further encourages the public to take the following precautionary measures during this Ebola emergency period, “not to eat dead bush animals. Be very careful in handling fresh bush meat; avoid bathing dead bodies of suspected patients; avoid eating plums/mangoes and other fruits partially eaten by bats; avoid eating monkeys, bats, and bamboos and prevent coming in direct contact with body fluids of infected persons or dead persons.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The Booker Washington Institute Alumni Association (BWIAA) has called for a collaborative campaign involving the relevant government agencies, security authorities, community leaders and the media to halt the “rampant and illegal” river sand mining that threatens the viability of the bridge linking Vai town and Waterside and the one near the Jamaica Road at the Somalia Drive intersection.In a press release, the leadership of the alumni association described the habit as “worrisome and disgusting,” saying it has on many occasions drawn the attention of the Maritime Authorities, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Ministry of Public Works, but the “unwholesome and criminal acts” have continued unchecked.“The illegal sand miners have been seen operating mainly near the Jamaica Road Bridge for a long time now,” the release observed.In recent days, the release said, young men using dug-out canoes have also been doing serious, illicit deep-river sand mining very close to the multimillion dollar Vai Town-Waterside Bridge.The BWIAA believes keeping a security watch on the bridges or authorizing and empowering community people to police the areas could curtail the ugly habits and save the bridges from eventual collapse.The association wants authorities also to stop individuals from going to buy sand from the illegal miners whose intention clearly is to undermine efforts of national development and recovery.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Peace River MLA Pat Pimm has been named the new chair for the Northern Caucus.The Northern Caucus is made up of the BC Liberal Government Caucus’s northern MLAs who work together to advocate for northern issues in Victoria. The Caucus’s main goal is to ensure a united, strong voice for Northern B.C. They meet regularly to discuss strategies and ideas for government policy and programs, promote northern issues with their government caucus colleagues and collaborate with regional stakeholders.- Advertisement -Peace River South MLA Blair Lekstrom will also be in the Caucus, along with Prince George-Valemount MLA Shirley Bond, Prince George-Mackenzie MLA Pat Bell, and Nechako Lakes MLA John Rustad, the Parliamentary Secretary for Silviculture.
That includes returning the 1.6 billion dollars in transition money it was lent by the federal government, as well as loss of revenue.Falcon admits that the way the HST was brought in in the first place was a problem.”This has obviously been a pretty challenging excercise in public policy development and I think perhaps a lesson, as I said before, in how not to introduce public ploicy change.”Speaking after the Finance Minister, Premier Christy Clark echoed that sentiment.Advertisement “I think if the HST had been introduced in a different way, it may have ultimately met with a different reception.”Both Falcon and Clark will now turn their focus to job creation and public consultation.The Finance Ministry intends to report on the transition to PST on a quarterly basis. “I wish it was a different result. As a British Columbian I wish it was a different result, but it’s not, and we’ll respect the result that came in and we’ll move forward as quickly as we can to put things back in place.”The transition back to the combined 12 per cent PST and GST is expected to take 18 months.The plan is restore the PST at 7 per cent by March 31, 2013. The tax will apply to the same services as it did before the harmonized tax was instated.- Advertisement -Falcon has established an action plan to assist in the process.A project team is already in place to work with the federal government to create transitional rules for the business community will understand how to make the switch.As previously projected, Falcon estimates the switch back will cost the province three billion dollars.Advertisement
UPDATED: More than 40 pensioners on a day out have been taken to hospital this evening after a bus crash at the Ardaghey Cross Roads between Ardara and Donegal town.The emergency services say 49 people have been hurt or are suffering from shock.Gardai have confirmed that a car collided with a 50-seater bus at the junction, but thankfully no-one has been killed or seriously injured. A full medical response team has been assembled to deal with the incident.Fire crews, ambulance crews and Gardai are attending the scene.It’s understood the pensioners were on a coach day trip from the St Johnston and Carrigans areas to Donegal Town and Ardara for the day.It was the Resource Centre’s annual day trip for pensioners in the area. The crash happened at the Ardaghey Cross Roads at its intersection with the N56, a few miles from Inver.Extra staff have been called in to Letterkenny general hospital to deal with the casualties of the incident, the worst coach crash in the county.A Garda spokesman said: “A bus and car collided at Castleogary, and 49elderly people taken to hospital in Letterkenny as a precaution.“The drivers of both vehicles also taken to hospital but there are no serious injuries. Garda Forensic Collision investigators are at scene.”Families of all those on the trip were informed soon after the incident. Letterkenny General Hospital is extemely busy tonight.The HSE is urging people not to go to the Emergency Department unless it is absolutely necessary.The NoW DOC service should be the first port of call.One man whose mother is in hospital told us: “It’s a miracle that no-one was more seriously hurt. I understand the car went into the side of the bus. “My mother is ok; just very shaken by the experience.”UPDATED: 49 INJURED IN HORROR CO DONEGAL BUS SMASH was last modified: June 24th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Ardarabus crashdonegalemergency servicesKillybegs