21 Mar 2018 England to host European team championship at Royal St George’s Tags: 2022, European, Mens Team, Royal St George Golf Club England Golf is delighted to announce that it will host the 2022 European men’s team championship at Royal St George’s Golf Club, Kent.The tournament will see the finest amateurs from across Europe playing in national teams over the Open Championship links.James Crampton, England Golf Championship Director, commented: “We are very excited to be holding this championship and, especially, to play it on such a wonderful course.“The players will be thrilled to test themselves at an Open venue and Royal St George’s will be a memorable setting for competitors and spectators alike. The standard of golf will be superb and this will be a great chance to see players who will go on to make a real impact in the professional game.”This will be the third time England Golf has hosted the championship and the second time it has been held at Royal St George’s. It took place there in 1965, in the early days of the tournament, when Ireland were the winners. It returned to England in 2005 at Hillside, in Lancashire, when the national team claimed victory.Altogether, England has won the championship 11 times and been runners-up eight times, most recently last year.England is a regular host of European events and held the European ladies’ team championship at Fulford, York in 2013, and the European amateur at Walton Heath, Surrey, in 2017. Next year, Parkstone, Dorset, will the venue for the European women’s championship.Royal St George’s boasts one of England’s finest links courses and has hosted amateur and professional tournaments since the early 1890s.The Open Championship will be played there for the 15th time in 2020. It was last played at Royal St George’s in 2011 when Darren Clarke held off Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson to become Champion Golfer of the Year.Tim Checketts, the club Secretary, said: “St George’s is delighted to have been invited to host the championship and the club is looking forward to welcoming the best amateur golfers in Europe and their friends, families and supporters to Sandwich in 2022.”Caption: The 6th hole at Royal St George’s (copyright Jason Livy).
San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan listens to a question during a news conference on Saturday, June 7, 2014, in San Antonio. The team plays Game 2 of the NBA Finals against the Miami Heat on Sunday. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)SAN ANTONIO (AP) — The San Antonio Spurs and Miami Heat expect more comfortable conditions, and better overall play, in Game 2 of the NBA Finals.The Spurs won 110-95 in the opener, a game that will be best remembered for an air conditioning failure that made temperatures soar to nearly 90 degrees in the second half. LeBron James cramped up in the heat and left with about 4 minutes remaining.The teams spent their two off days practicing at the Spurs’ training facility while the AT&T Center was being used for other events. They will be back in the arena, where the Spurs have won an NBA-record eight straight playoff games by 15 or more points, for Game 2.Here are five things to watch Sunday night:___HEAT’S HEALTH: James had two days of treatment after he couldn’t make it to the finish of Game 1 because of cramps. He practiced Saturday and has said he expects to be 100 percent for Sunday night.He’s had cramping problems before, missing part of Game 4 of the 2012 NBA Finals, so his condition will have to be monitored. But James doesn’t sound too concerned.“I’m doing well, doing a lot better. The soreness is starting to get out,” he said. “I’m feeling better than I did yesterday and with another day, I should feel much better tomorrow.”___WEATHER REPORT: It’s expected to be much cooler inside the AT&T Center on Sunday.The breaker that failed Thursday night, which NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said was about the size of a car battery, was repaired by Friday afternoon. San Antonio’s WNBA team played a home game Saturday night without issues, and the Heat are expecting a much different climate than they faced in Game 1.“We anticipate we will play in a very cool gym. We will have to deal with that now,” coach Erik Spoelstra said. “I don’t know if guys will be wearing tights under their shorts and long-sleeved shirts. I don’t know.”___KEEP IT CLEAN: The Spurs committed 23 turnovers that led to 28 Miami points in the opener. The Heat were almost as sloppy, turning it over 18 times for 27 points.“My guess is you won’t see that tomorrow night, turnover-wise,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Saturday. “I don’t think either one of us will turn it over as much as we did. In that regard, we were both pretty sloppy.”___SEND SUBS?: Dwyane Wade and James have both said the Heat may have benefited from a deeper rotation in Game 1.Spoelstra used only four reserves in the hot conditions, and James said Saturday he could’ve seen where Udonis Haslem, or James Jones or Toney Douglas could have gotten a few minutes to keep the starters fresher for the finish.“Spo is going to coach the game the way he sees the game going and flowing, and we’re definitely going to ride with that, the way he calls the game,” James said. “And like I said, Thursday’s game was extreme measures. And I don’t expect that tomorrow night, but we’ll see.”___MEN IN THE MIDDLE: Spurs big men Tim Duncan and Tiago Splitter combined to make 14 of 16 shots in Game 1, with Duncan scoring 21 points and Splitter adding 14. San Antonio outscored Miami 48-36 in the paint.The Heat have been employing a small starting lineup with Chris Bosh at center and Rashard Lewis as an undersized power forward, and will have to find a way to contain the Spurs’ bigs.“We need to do what we do better and harder,” Spoelstra said. “They make it tough with their passing and, you know, getting into the paint with their roles and spreading you out with 3-point shooters. So we need to do that better, there is no question about it. Those were big-time relief points.”___Follow Brian Mahoney on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Briancmahoney
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Salmon Creek has become known for shark attacks, with four reported since 1961. But the latest incident won’t keep some surfers out of the water. “When you hear stories, you think that would be horrible,” said Ian Doleman, 34, of Forestville, who was surfing at Salmon Creek a half-hour before Halavais was attacked. “But it would be much worse to not go surfing ever again.” Susan Harris, 49, of Sebastopol also said she will return to the water. “I had a shark phobia for 25 years that kept me out of the water,” said Harris, who has been surfing for three years. “I’d feel sketchy about it at times … but you put it out of your mind. If that’s how I go, that’s how I go.” – Associated Press A 6-mile stretch of beach north of Bodega Bay was set to reopen today after being closed for several days following a shark attack. Megan Halavais, 20, was paddling on her surfboard Wednesday in the water off Salmon Creek Beach when a shark grabbed her from behind, pulled her underwater and bit her on the leg. She was recovering at Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital, where she underwent surgery. Sheriff’s Lt. Roger Rude said the teeth marks spanning 19 inches left by the shark on the back of Halavais’ leg indicate the shark measured up to 20 feet long.
A Miami penthouse condo once owned by Golden State Warriors star Kevin Durant has been listed for $3.6 million, reports the Los Angeles Times.Click if viewing from a mobile device.The 3,793 square foot fully-furnished condo has three bedrooms and five baths. It features 1,000 square feet of terrace space, floor-to-ceiling windows, a private elevator, and a cinema, among many other amenities.Durant sold the property for $3.45 million in 2015. Michael Light and Jaimee Light with Douglas …
New season. New arena. New beat writer.In lieu of a drawn-out introduction, let me use this mailbag to extend an olive branch. You’ve seen my byline all season, but this is the first time I’ve interacted with readers in this space.This is my first year on the beat, taking over for the incomparable Mark Medina (now with USA Today). A quick bio: A South Florida native, I moved to the Bay Area six years ago after graduating with a journalism degree from UCF (miss me with your 2017 national …
Steve Smith and David Warner, who are currently serving a ban for their involvement in the ball-tampering scandal, will look to share their wealth of experience with budding cricketers when they make their highly anticipated return to club cricket in Sydney on Saturday.The duo were suspended by Cricket Australia after the ball-tampering scandal that took place during a Test in South Africa earlier this year and were also removed as captain and vice-captain of the national side.They were allowed to play in overseas Twenty20 competitions and domestic lower level club cricket but remain ineligible to appear in first-class games until next March.Smith is due to appear for his Sutherland club against Mosman on Saturday at Glenn McGrath Oval, while Warner will be part of the Randwick-Petersham side to face St George at Coogee.”Hopefully I can teach some of the young guys the game, help them learn,” Smith said in a video published by the Australian Cricketers’ Association.”If I can pass on any information to these young guys coming through and help them turn into better players, I’ll do that.”We want to see Australian cricket strong and it starts at this level. The more older heads there are around to come and help out, the better.”In the same video, Warner said he was excited about guiding “some of the younger guys and older guys in the team”.The presence of Smith and Warner has already raised the profile of grade cricket matches to unprecedented levels and record crowds are expected at the grounds.advertisementAnother enticing showdown is expected on Nov. 10, when Sutherland and Randwick-Petersham face each other.Smith, who will turn out alongside Shane Watson for Sutherland, has played Twenty20 cricket in Canada and the Caribbean during his ban and Saturday’s 50-over match will be the first on home soil since the scandal erupted.Warner played in the NT Strike League in Darwin back in July along with Cameron Bancroft, who is serving a nine-month suspension for his involvement in the scandal. Warner’s opponents will include former test team mate Josh Hazlewood.Former Australia captain Steve Waugh will watch his son Austin play with Smith for Sutherland.”I don’t want to comment particularly on Austin but it’ll be a great experience for all young players involved,” Steve Waugh told the Australian Associated Press.”It’s a huge opportunity and it’s going to fast-track their learning so much.”I don’t know Steve that well personally but watching from the sidelines, you know he’s not going to sell himself short in terms of preparation, commitment, dedication and passion. That will all be there, no matter where he’s playing.”(With Reuters inputs)
Fred Funk, one of the most recognizable names and personalities in professional golf, is partnering with Stryker and Fisher House Foundation to help support our military families by making the same Stryker GetAroundKnee hat that he wears on tour available for golf fans.For every hat purchased Stryker will donate 100% of the net proceeds directly to the Fisher House Foundation to support our injured or sick military veterans and their families. Fisher House is a non-profit organization that provides a home away from home that enables family members to be close to a loved one during hospitalization for an illness, disease or injury. Hats may be purchased by visiting www.getaroundknee.com.In 2012, Fisher House served more than 19,000 military families by donating “comfort homes,” built on the ground of major military and Veteran’s Affairs medical centers. These homes enable family members to be close to a loved one at the most stressful times–during the hospitalization for an unexpected illness, disease or injury. Since 1990, Fisher House has been able to offer over 4.7 million days of lodging to military families, resulting in savings of more than $200 million to families in lodging, and transportation costs. There are currently 60 houses in operation to date.For its part, Stryker has had a long history of supporting our nation’s military though education, residency programs, products, and donations and is a leading supporter of the Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons (SOMOS), so the Fisher House sponsorship just made sense.“Our partnership with Fred Funk and Stryker is extremely important to Fisher House Foundation and to the tens of thousands of military families that we serve annually,” says Derek Donovan, Vice President of Fisher House Foundation, and Colonel, USMC (Ret.), who joined the Foundation in 2007 following 26 years of active duty service in the United States Marine Corps. “We know that Americans want to support our military men and women, and we’re delighted that through the sale of Fred’s popular hat, we can help to make this happen,” adds Donovan.Whether it’s the stress and fatigue from travel to and from events on tour, or even his recovery from knee replacement surgery, Fred understands the importance of having family around for support. A 20-year veteran of the sport and current member of the Champions Tour, Funk underwent a total knee replacement with Stryker’s GetAroundKnee in November 2009 which enabled him to get back out on the course and back to competing.Funk’s return to golf post-knee replacement has been an inspiration to golf fans around the world and he’s picked by the Champions Tour as a top player to watch for the past 2 years. A perennial fan favorite Funk continues to receive the support of fans that have been eager to wear his same hat. What started out as Funk tossing a few hats to fans post-round has grown into a program poised to give back in a big way through the Stryker/Fisher House partnership.“I’ve always been extremely grateful for our service men and women. That’s why I’m excited to partner with Stryker and Fisher House to support such a great cause,” says Funk. “I know firsthand how important family can be when recovering from physical challenges. When I was recovering from my knee surgery a few years ago, I was fortunate to have the strength and support of my family, who was there to encourage me every step of the way and get me back into the game that I love,” adds Funk.For more information about how to purchase a Stryker hat to support America’s military families, please visit www.getaroundknee.com.Source:PR Newswire
Kolkata: A woman who had killed her husband, a local Trinamool Congress activist of Sonarpur in South 24-Parganas, after conspiring with her boyfriend, attempted suicide inside the police lockup on Sunday morning.Victim’s wife Madhumita Mistri had been under police custody since she was arrested by the police on April 19. She has been kept under observation.According to police, she attempted suicide by cutting her hand and throat with a blade. A question has, however, been raised on how she got a blade inside the police lockup. Some of the policemen posted outside the lockup found the injured victim with her hand and throat bleeding profusely. She was immediately treated by doctors. The woman conspired with a person with whom she had an extra marital affair and killed her husband. The incident took place on April 9. The matter came to light after the woman’s boy friend admitted his guilt before the investigators after his arrest. Both the accused have been arrested on April 19. The victim, Samir Mistri, a local Trinamool Congress was shot dead by the accused Chandan Mondal. According to the investigation, police came to know that victim’s wife Madhumita had developed an illicit relationship with Mondal around two-and-a-half year ago. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsBoth the woman and her boy friend admitted their relationship before the police and the hatched plan to kill Mistri. The incident took place when the victim was having his dinner inside his house. The front door of their room was kept open by the woman to help her boyfriend to carry out the crime. According to the investigation, police said that there was a quarrel between the couple after the victim came to know about the relationship. The accused might have committed the crime as the victim had opposed their relation.