New Totem Archery Club hit by vandalism

first_imgThe club is still in search of sponsors and volunteers for the National Championships being held in Fort St. John. Anyone interested can contact Julie Bouck at 250-787-8717 or visit the club’s official website. The club has been through a rollercoaster ride of emotions, as over the weekend it was the victim of an unfortunate incident involving a break and enter and vandalism.This followed last week’s announcement that the archery club would be hosting the 2012 Indoor 3D National Championships.According to the Fort St. John RCMP, the break-in occurred between Sept. 30 and Oct. 3, and cost an estimated $2,000 worth of damage to the club’s outdoor range.- Advertisement -Any information regarding this incident should be directed to the Fort St. John RCMP at 250-787-8140.Despite the setback, the New Totem Archery Club will be running its indoor program as usual. Regular club hours include Tuesday and Thursday nights from 6:30-9 p.m., as well as Sundays from 1-4 p.m.They also offer a Junior Olympic Program, which runs Wednesday evenings from 6:30-7:30 and is open for anyone interested 18 years of age of younger. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult while shooting.Advertisementlast_img read more

Affordable housing sore point in Warner Center apartments

first_imgOn Wednesday, the City Council reaffirmed support for a 707-unit project in Warner Center that combines regular and senior apartments in one complex at 6200 De Soto Ave. The project was approved before the 2005 rule, but can’t be constructed until movie camera-maker Panavision moves out. The developer of the project has voluntarily agreed to rent 10 percent of the project’s senior units as affordable in exchange for the city extending his deadline to build. But Simms sought to appeal the city’s decision on that development so his own project could be completed instead and exempted from the affordable housing requirement. “I’ve never seen a developer fight another developer like this,” said Councilman Dennis Zine, who represents the area. [email protected] (213) 978-0390160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Councilman Jose Huizar, who sits on the committee, said the city’s premise was shaky. “Let’s call a spade a spade. If we’re going to pursue affordable housing, let’s provide it and not call it transportation mitigation,” he said. But Simms said he still plans to fight the requirement at Friday’s City Council meeting. “We’re still talking about millions of dollars,” said Ben Reznik, an attorney representing Simms. “The entire set-aside is not legal. It’s all based on a theoretical fallacy that affordable housing reduces the traffic impact. There’s no study pointed to, no facts provided. It’s all speculation.” Developers in Warner Center are closely watching the case to see if the affordable housing requirement sticks. The City Council had enacted the temporary requirement for developers after 2005 in the wake of a residential housing boom that saw 3,000 units built in two years. Los Angeles city leaders are easing an affordable-housing requirement for a proposed Warner Center apartment complex, but the developer is still gearing up for a fight over the issue. City officials had sought to reduce traffic by requiring Ronald Simms to designate 25 percent of his 438-unit project on Eaton Avenue as affordable housing for local workers. Officials argued that workers could walk or take public transit to work, thereby reducing area traffic. But Simms threatened to sue, saying there’s no link between low-income apartments and traffic. On Tuesday, the Council’s Planning and Land Use Committee reduced the affordable housing requirement to 15 percent after city officials admitted they couldn’t show exactly how affordable housing would cut traffic. last_img read more