Boxer Shiva Thapa hopeful of more Indian boxers in Rio

first_imgMumbai, May 30 (PTI) The lone Indian boxer to have qualified for Olympics so far, Shiva Thapa said he is hopeful that more boxers will make the cut for Rio even though only one qualifying event is left on the calender. “In the London Olympics there were so many boxers and Vijender Singh gave Indian boxing a face (to be proud of). I am hopeful that more boxers will qualify for the Rio Games as some qualifiers are left (to make the grade),” said the 22-year-old boxer today after being felicitated by the NGO Olympic Gold Quest along with eight other Rio-bound sports persons. The 22-year-old pugilist is the lone Indian to have booked a berth for Rio in boxing and it will be the second Olympics for the 56-kg fighter after he became the youngest Indian boxer to qualify for the Olympics in London in 2012. “This is my second Olympics. I am totally focused and working really hard. The last four years have just flown and I have learnt a lot. I am looking forward to the Rio Games and I am pretty sure that we (Indian contingent) will bring more medals than in the last Olympics,” said the Guwahati-born boxer. Thapa is sad as he had to fight in the Asian qualifiers, where he won a silver, under world body AIBAs flag due to the absence of an elected national boxing federation currently. “It felt sad that we were not fighting under our countrys flag. Its very important to represent the country and fight under its flag. Now AIBA has allowed us to fight under the Indian flag in Rio and I am feeling better,” said Thapa, who aims to follow Vijenders footsteps at some time in the future and turn professional. Meanwhile, pistol shooting hope and Incheon Asian Games champion Jitu Rai sounded quietly confident that he will do well in Rio, though his performance in 2015 and this year has been up and down after a great 2014 when he won both the Commonwealth Games (Glasgow) and Asian Games gold medal. (More) PTI SSR KRK ATK KHSadvertisementlast_img read more

Liverpool’s Coutinho risk stuns Carragher

first_imgTransfers Coutinho sale timing stuns Carragher, with Liverpool risking top-four finish Chris Burton 23:35 1/13/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Philippe Coutinho Barcelona Getty Images Transfers Liverpool Philippe Coutinho Barcelona Primera División Premier League The Reds legend believes those at Anfield should have fought harder to keep the Brazilian until the summer, rather than bowing to Barcelona’s demands Liverpool’s decision to sell Philippe Coutinho to Barcelona during the winter window has stunned Jamie Carragher, with a top-four risk taken at Anfield.The Reds were able to fend off advances from Camp Nou last summer, but eventually bowed to pressure when interest was rekindled in January.A €160 million deal means they have been handsomely rewarded for parting with a Brazilian playmaker, but they have lost a key cog in a devastating attacking arsenal. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player Carragher believes a gamble has been taken on Champions League qualification, with it difficult to see why Liverpool did not fight harder to keep Coutinho until the summer.The Reds legend wrote in a column for the Daily Telegraph: “I cannot understand Liverpool’s decision to sell Coutinho now. Not mid-season.“No matter how much I hear about boyhood dreams; efforts to convince him to stay; and how much family, representatives, or even sponsors pushed for it, why this month?“The financial reward is vast. So is the risk.“But I still fear a mid-season deal unnecessarily jeopardises Liverpool’s Champions League place for next season. “If they do not finish in the top four, everyone will point at Coutinho’s sale.”Philippe Coutinho Jamie Carragher why nowCarragher added: “Regardless of how much Coutinho agitated, Liverpool could have stood firm.“While some players, such as Alexis Sanchez and Virgil van Dijk, lost form after being denied their summer move, Coutinho was the opposite.“He has never played better for Liverpool than between September and December this season.“I am sure the Brazilian would have recovered from his disappointment for four more months.”Liverpool sit inside the Premier League’s top four at present, but only three points clear of Tottenham and five ahead of Arsenal.That battle looks set to go down to the wire once again, with the Reds now unable to call upon the mercurial talents of a player who had contributed 12 goals and eight assists to their cause across all competitions. Subscribe to Goal’s Liverpool Correspondent Neil Jones’ weekly email bringing you the best Liverpool FC writing from around the weblast_img read more