Why Bayern Munich can’t afford to lose James Rodriguez

first_img“I expect top performances from him.” When James Rodriguez steps onto the football field, it is expected that he will be a gamechanger. Not just by fans, but by coaches and managers as well. Niko Kovac confirmed last week that the Colombia international was fit to return for Bayern Munich after missing eight games with a knee problem, but included the disclaimer that he wanted Rodriguez to show no signs of rustiness.”I know he’s a top player, I know what he can do,” Kovac told reporters. “He’s shown that not just here but at other big clubs. I expect top performances from him, just like I do any other player. We finished the first half of the season strongly, and competition for places is fierce, as is always the case. Now it’s down to him to show he deserves a place in the team again.” Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Rodriguez has found game time harder to come by under new Bayern boss Kovac, having been a huge success under Jupp Heynckes in his first season in Munich. Last season, he finished with eight goals and 14 assists in 39 games in all competitions, but has found himself being left out of the starting XI more often in 2018-19.As a result, the 27 year old has been the focus of many transfer rumours throughout the season, with talk of a January loan to Arsenal even cropping up in recent weeks. Reports in Spain have long insisted that Rodriguez is unhappy with his role in Munich, while he is said to have told Kovac “We are not in Frankfurt” following a disappointing draw against Ajax.However, everything Rodriguez has said in public has indicated that he has no problems with either Munich or the coach. He admitted that the only thing on his mind was returning to full fitness and getting back on the pitch.”There are no issues with the coach or any staff,” James told reporters in December. “At the moment I am with Bayern and I have a contract with the club until June and I am happy here, I am calm and in the future we will see what happens. I am only thinking about Bayern, I am recovering well from my injury and I have lots of motivation to return better than ever.”GFX James RodriguezHis return to action on Friday was a 12-minute cameo against Hoffenheim, where he had little time on the pitch but still put in a display worthy of being called a “top performance”. With Hoffenheim pushing for a late equaliser, Bayern secured a 3-1 win as Rodriguez played a perfect pass to Thomas Muller, who had all the time to cross for Robert Lewandowski to score from close range. While it did not count as an assist for the Colombian, who has provided the final ball for just two goals in 12 games in 2018-19, the goal was purely Rodriguez’s creation. His vision picked out Muller, who was able to break through the defence and find Lewandowski.It also showed that Rodriguez should not simply be seen as a backup option for Muller, but can also play alongside the World Cup winner in a dynamic attack. Until now, Muller or Rodriguez was an either/or option for Kovac, but the brief cameo last weekend proves that the duo can work together in support of Lewandowski, and combine to great effect.Muller is suspended for both of Bayern’s games against Liverpool in the Champions League, with the first leg taking place on February 19, almost three weeks after the end of the transfer window. They will need Rodriguez for these matches if they are to stand any chance of progressing to the quarter-finals of the tournament, while it has now become an annual tradition for Bayern to have an injury crisis in the latter stage of the season. Usually, this is not a huge problem domestically, but 2018-19 has not been as easy as usual for the Bavarians on home soil and they find themselves chasing Borussia Dortmund after half the season.Success is expected in Munich, with the Bundesliga title almost an afterthought in recent years as they chase the Champions League. Kovac’s best chance of being successful this season – and keeping his job – is with Rodriguez, who can help create the goals to propel them to the title and onwards in Europe. Letting him leave now would be madness.last_img read more

Swire Welcomes New AHTS Vessel ‘Pacific …

first_img此页面无法正确加载 Google 地图。您是否拥有此网站?确定 zoom Shipowner and operator, Swire Pacific Offshore Operations (Pte) Ltd (SPO), welcomes another new anchor handling tug supply vessel, Pacific Discovery to its existing D Class fleet. This vessel is owned by SPO and built by DDW-PaxOcean Asia Pte Ltd (DPA).On 8 October 2013, about 80 representatives from the SPO team and DDW-PaxOcean Asia Pte Ltd (DPA) gathered at the shipyard of DDW-PaxOcean Tuas yard to witness the launch and naming ceremony of Pacific Discovery. The event was graced by Lady Sponsor, Mrs Lisabeth Roberts, the wife of Mr Peter Roberts, a former director of Swire, instrumental in establishing SPO and guiding it through its early years. Other dignitaries included Chairman of Swire Pacific Offshore, Mr J.B. Rae-Smith, Managing Director of The China Navigation Company, Mr Tim Blackburn, Chief Operating Officer of DDW-PaxOcean Asia Pte Ltd (DPA), Mr Simon Cheong and Executive Director of DDW-PaxOcean Shipyard Pte Ltd, Mr William Choo.“The launch of Pacific Discovery is another important milestone for the Company, particularly in respect to the development of our deep water anchor handling capability. The three sister D Class vessels already delivered have enjoyed a successful entry into service and are living up to expectations in respect to safe and high quality operating performance. By the end of 2015, all eight vessels from the series will be in operation, serving our customers across the world. We are confident that our modern and diversified portfolio of vessels and marine services will be well positioned to meet the changing business needs of the global oil and gas industry effectively,” says Managing Director, Mr Neil Glenn.Pacific Discovery is designed and built with advanced technical capabilities to support the latest generation of semi-submersible rigs. Equipped with DP2 systems and a maximum bollard pull of 230 tonnes, Pacific Discovery also boasts a clear deck space of 650 square metres. The main propulsion engine powers the vessel with 17,864 Brake Horsepower (BHP) certified to IMO Tier II standards. The large capacity 500 MT RRM Brattvagg winches, latest dynamic positioning technology, enhanced station keeping with independent drop down azimuth thruster, anchor recovery frame (ARF) and travelling cranes provide the vessel with added flexibility, versatility and safety. Please refer to Appendix A for the Fact Sheet of Pacific Discovery.By the end of 2015, SPO will have eight vessels in its D Class fleet. Vessels in the series delivered to date include Pacific Defiance (February 2013), Pacific Diligence (April 2013) and Pacific Dolphin (August 2013). Pacific Dove and Pacific Duchess have been launched and will be delivered by the end of 2013 and by early 2014 respectively. The two remaining vessels in the series, Pacific Dispatch and Pacific Dragon are scheduled to be delivered by the end of 2014. Swire Pacific Offshore, October 10, 2013 Print  Close My locationlast_img read more

Four charged by Kenyan court over Westgate mall attack

first_imgFOUR MEN HAVE been charged in connection with last month’s Westgate mall massacre.Somalia’s Al-Qaeda linked Shebab claimed responsibility for the September 21st attack in which at least 67 people were killed in Kenyan capital of Nairobi.The charge sheet read that “the accused persons carried out a terrorist attack at Westgate Shopping Mall on September 21 by supporting a terrorist group”.Not guilty pleaAll pleaded not guilty to the charges, which also included entering Kenya illegally and obtaining false identification documents.None are accused of being the gunmen in the mall.The four, who are all ethnic Somalis, are Mohammed Ahmed Abdi, Liban Abdullah, Adan Adan and Hussein Hassan.Some of those charged were arrested in Kenya’s northwestern desert refugee camp of Kakuma, a vast settlement home to over 125,000 refugees from across the region, including Somalia.Further investigationsThe suspects, who had no legal representation, were remanded in custody for one week after the prosecution asked for more time for further investigations.All the gunmen in the Westgate attack — totalling just four, not the dozen that security forces had initially reported — are understood to have died during the four-day siege.Interpol is assisting Kenya in trying to identify four bodies suspected to be the gunmen, police said last week.The Kenyan Red Cross has said some 20 people are still missing, and there are fears more bodies could be found in the wreckage of the mall.Link to NorwayDetectives are continuing to investigate a possible link to Norway, with Ndegwa Muhoro, head of Kenya’s Police Criminal Investigation Department, saying last week that a telephone call was made to the country from the mall during the attack.A Norwegian citizen of Somali origin is suspected of being one of the attackers.- © AFP, 2013Read: ‘White Widow’ Lewthwaite ‘was not part of the attackers’ – Kenyan police >More: Son of former Kenyan ambassador to Ireland killed in Nairobi siege >last_img read more